Whole Crab with Birgit's Danish Crab Sauce
There is nothing more satisfying than picking a whole crab yourself, and it is really not that hard to do. Serve chilled with herb sautéed potatoes, green salad and some of ‘Birgit’s Danish Crab sauce’.
Birgit’s Danish Crab Sauce
- 4 tbsp of mayo
- 4 tbsp of natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp of tomato ketchup
- Splash of Tabasco
- A handful of chopped fresh dill
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
How to pick a whole crab:
- First, pour yourself a large glass of chilled Whispering Angel - this always helps the process!
- Roll up your sleeves, put your seafood bib on and get your hammering tool and pick at the ready
- Some people like to remove all the meat from the whole crab first before they eat it and others like to eat the crab as they go along - there is no right or wrong way!
- Place the crab on its back and remove the legs and claws with a twisting action.
- Firmly hold the shell as you push away the central body, ‘the purse’, out with your thumbs
- Remove the grey, feathery gills, otherwise known as the ‘dead man’s fingers’, these should not be eaten
- Scoop out the brown meat found in the corners of the shell - this meat is much stronger than the white and is very rich. It is delicious spread on a piece of hot toast with salty butter!
- Take the body section, we call it the knuckle, and pick and remove the meat carefully from the cavities where the legs were attached. The meat is so sweet!
- Now onto the two pincer claws - using the back of a knife or small hammer, gently break the shell (without smashing it) and pick out the beautiful white meat
- Crack the legs gently, and carefully remove the white meat with your pick
- You will now have handpicked all the crab meat - before you tuck in and enjoy, make sure to check the crab meat for any stray shell.
- Simply eat with a squeeze of lemon, mayo and bread or as suggested above with a green salad, herb sautéed potatoes and Birgit's Danish crab sauce.
You can buy Whole Crab online from us here>